I took the train to Alexandria last week to Woodhull’s Sexual Freedom Summit. I was working as a Volunteer, but kept my schedule free for the whole first day of Sexuality and Aging.
Unfortunately the session on STIs was cancelled but I went to Tom Callahan’s great talk on making your community LGBTQ friendly. We need to start talking about where seniors who wish to remain sexually active fit into assisted living and nursing homes. Some places are finally waking up to the reality of senior sexuality, but many who identify as LGBTQ are forced back into the closet by repressive staff and outdated policies. We can change this.
In the afternoon I went to Joan Price’s wonderful 25 Tips for Sexy Aging. Joan as you may know is one of the reasons I find myself writing this blog. I won’t list all 25 tips, but here are a few:
1. Foreplay implies an end goal of orgasm. Play on the other hand can be whatever both of you (or more!) want to do. It could mean just cuddling or a full-on kink scene.
2. A senior “quickie” should last at least an hour.
3. Seniors ought to be using sex toys to help have regular orgasms. At least once a week says Joan, but I would say double that.
4. Have sex before a meal – not after that candlelit dinner. Listen to Dan Savage’s advice “Fuck first.”
5. Sexual expression is part of healthy living and has nothing to do with age. Amen to that.